Thursday, April 3, 2008

chocolate raspberry madeleines


There's something about afternoon tea that I love. The idea of sneaking in a whole other meal of sandwiches and biscuits, and calling it tea, is ingenious. Perhaps it is its ability to civilize even the most etiquette-challenged of individuals, at least for one afternoon. Madeleines, of course, are French, and probably would have never found their way into a British tea. But it's my tea party, and I'll make what I want to. Besides, madeleines are so delightful. Great for dunking, yet still elegant and refined.

I made this chocolate version for Easter dinner with Mr.S's family. Flavored with a dollop of raspberry preserves, they are nuanced with another layer of sweetness.


If anyone has suggestions on a good madeleine pan, or know of how to keep the pretty little cakes from sticking, please let know. Mine is from Williams Sonoma, heavy gauge steel with a non-stick finish. Any help would be appreciated!


Chocolate Raspberry Madeleines

loosely adapted from Cooks Illustrated
yields 12 madeleines

4 Tbsp all purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
pinch salt
2 large egg yolks
1 large egg
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp raspberry liquor, such as Chambord
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
raspberry preserves

1. Preheat oven to 375F. Brush madeleine pan with melted butter; dust lightly with flour. Sift together flour, cocoa powder and salt in a bowl; set aside.

2. Beat yolks with egg on high until light and pale, about 5 minutes. Add in sugar and vanilla; continue beating for another 3 minutes until ribbons in the batter start to form. Gently fold in flour mixture, then melted butter and Chambord.

3. Spoon the batter into the molds, filling them halfway. Drop a dollop of raspberry preserves into the center of each, and finish by spooning the remaining half of the batter on top. The batter should come level with the rim of the mold. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until cakes spring back when gently pressed. Loosen each cake and turn out onto a dry towel; allow to cool completely.

5 comments:

Mary Coleman said...

What a delightful combo in a madeleine. I totally agree about afternoon tea. I always feel so civilised when I "take" tea!
Beautiful post as usual.

theminx said...

Yum! Those look scrumptious! I love tea as well - what a civilized way to pig out. :)

I think I have the same madeleine pan as you (I definitely bought it at W-S, but maybe 10 years ago) and I have no problems with sticking. I do spritz them with a little Pam before filling, but that's about it.

Patricia Scarpin said...

I'm a complete sucker for madeleines. And for raspberries. And for chocolate. Bookmarking this recipe now!

Mandy said...

love the flavor combo! I am bookmarking this now. I spray my pan with the Pam for baking (butter +oil I think)and it never sticks.

Anonymous said...

福~
「朵
語‧,最一件事,就。好,你西.............................................................................................................
..................-...相互
來到你身邊,以你曾經希望的方式回應你,許下,只是讓它發生,放下,才是讓它實現,你的心願使你懂得不能執著的奧秘