Thursday, December 6, 2007

dorie greenspan's corn muffins


Warm, out of the oven, and drizzled with honey. I have a certain weakness for corny baked things, especially when stone ground cornmeal is used...the grittiness that turns sweet and full of texture when cooked. Imagine such a muffin that crumbles when split, and soaks up a pat of sweet butter when gently plied. Excuse me while I step away from my computer to wipe the drool off my face.

This is Dorie Greenspan's recipe, which calls for all the usual suspects, buttermilk, melted butter, a 50/50 mix of cornmeal and all-purpose flour. I particulary appreciate her addition of freshly grated nutmeg, and an extra egg yolk for a bit of richness. I would suggest baking these babies in a well seasoned muffin pan, cast-iron, if you can get your hands on one. This will produce a crispy, buttery, golden crust that ascends the height of each muffin. Otherwise, they will still turn out fine, just with a softer crust.

I eat these with practically everything, with fried eggs for breakfast yesterday, and with a big bowl of chipotle turkey chili tonight. Such great cold weather food...

5 comments:

roopa said...

Oooh, I want one. I am going to have to make some this weekend!

Patricia Scarpin said...

That drizzling honey is killing me - wonderful photo!

Anonymous said...

福~
「朵
語‧,最一件事,就。好,你西.............................................................................................................
..................-...相互
來到你身邊,以你曾經希望的方式回應你,許下,只是讓它發生,放下,才是讓它實現,你的心願使你懂得不能執著的奧秘

Anonymous said...

酒店 ,酒店經紀 ,酒店公關 ,酒店兼職,酒店小姐, 酒店上班,酒店喝酒,酒店工作

LAN said...

puma mens shoes
puma shoes
puma speed
nike shoes
nike air
nike air shoes
nike air max 90
nike air max 95
nike air max tn
nike air rift
nike shox r4
nike air max 360
nike shox nz
puma cat
air max trainers
mens nike air max
sports shoes
nike air rifts
nike air rift trainer
nike air
nike shoes air max
nike shoes shox
air shoes
Lucyliu IS Lucyliu
nike shoe cart
puma future
cheap puma
nike rift
jeans shop
diesel jeans
levis jeans
nike rift shoes
cheap nike air rifts
bape shoes