Wednesday, September 12, 2007

avocado meets chocolate...

...and the rest, they say, is history.


In Indonesia, kids and adults alike go crazy for a popular shake called alpokat made of blended avocado and milk, then drizzled with chocolate syrup. Oh my. Both fresh milk and condensed milk versions are equally as beloved. It's a flavor combination that really works and complements each other. And when mixed together, resembles sludgy muddy goo. Nevertheless, it's thick and creamy, a bit like a chocolate malt shake.

My take on alpokat is a duo of ice creams: avocado and milk chocolate. A spoonful of this, a spoonful of that, swirl the two, and eat both. What could be better than playing with your food?

Avocado Ice Cream
yields 1 pint

6 oz. avocado (about 2 medium)
2 tsp fresh lime juice
1/4 cup plus additional 2 Tbsp sugar
3/4 cup whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)

1. In a food processor or a blender, puree avocado, lime juice, sugar and whole milk until smooth. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve to remove any clumps. Whisk in the cream and vanilla extract.

2. Chill in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.

3. Pour the chilled mixture into an ice cream maker and allow it to run for 5-10 minutes only. Place in freezer to solidify slightly, about 30 min, and serve.

5 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

This sounds so very wonderful! I know they drink avacado milkshakes in Morocco as well - I never did try one....

I am SO enjoying your blog! Lots of goodies!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!

roopa said...

I LOVE avocado ice cream.

By the way, your photographs are beautiful. (What kind of camera do you use? Although I'm sure a lot of it has to do with your skill.)

xiao zhu said...

rk-
I agree, the avo taste is super unique!
I use a Panasonic Lumix. It has a Leica lens, which, I think definitely makes a difference. Shooting in natural light is crucial too!

Mari said...

my mom used to make us avocado smoothies with yogurt and honey when we were young (and she was a vegetarian 70s mom) and i hated them! I hope that my taste buds are now suitably developed that I learn to learn to love avocado in dessert form, cause your ice cream sure looks pretty!

roopa said...

Ah, the Leica lens. I have a mere Canon PowerShot Elph so my photos will never rival yours.

In the meantime I will do my best with my cute little camera and then come to drool over yours! :)